Friday, March 23, 2012

quick & easy finnish

Yesterday I made a laundry bag from a thrifted pillowcase, using this tutorial from In Color Order.


Because I can never leave well enough alone, I did a couple things differently.  For one, I used a ribbon instead of making a string from fabric.


I made my stitch lines slightly lower than in the middle of the hemmed end of the pillowcase, so that it would have more of a ruffle when pulled closed.

I didn't mark sewing lines all around the fabric, either.  Instead, I used a pencil to make two marks 1" apart on the seamline.  I put the pillowcase under my machine, with the needle down so it wouldn't shift, and marked the machine by the edge of the pillowcase with a removeable tape.  Confused?  Not to worry, I took pictures :)


Can you see the pencil marks & the pink ape?  All I had to do was keep the pillowcase in line with that tape as I sewed :)  I did the same thing for the next stitching line...


just a different color tape :)  the strips came of my machine cleanly, no sticky left behind!


Omnigrid Glow-Line Tape - there were three colors in the package, but I find the yellow and pink to be more visable.

So quick & easy, it took longer to clear my sewing table than it did to make the bag!

That's one bag closer to being ready for my quilting retreat in a few weeks! Yay!
What have you sewn this week?
I'm linking up to some parties again - go check out everyones great finishes!
Crazy Mom Quilts & TGIFF @ Don't Tell Quilts

10 comments:

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Super cute - and thanks for the info on the tape. I made the mistake once of just using cheap-o masking tape. I'm still paying for that one!

Kit Lang said...

super cute and super easy! Thanks for the idea!

Celtic Thistle said...

Neat! Will have to look out for that tape.

Amanda Jean said...

what a cute bag and a great idea! love that you used ribbon. such a nice touch!

thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

Sara said...

Great thrifty project--lovin' it!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Great project! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!, Allison!

Cherie said...

So cute! Love the fabric of the pillow case! I always grab some when charity shopping! =D

Finding Fifth said...

I am a vintage pillow case fan too. Great idea with the tape as well.

Amy said...

Love the extra ruffly top! Thanks for showing how it's done simply too. I think I'll be using more tape in my sewing from now on.

Also, I have nominated you for a Liebster!

Katie said...

I'm going to have to look into that tape. My machine is Swedish so the measuring lines are in cm. I know where most fall but it would be some help to have a neon line to follow.

Great laundry bag!