Sunday, May 6, 2012

making my family album

Ok, so April ended awhile ago, and I haven't gone back to my sewing list to see how I did.  I'm not going to do a full rundown today either, but I'll show you a little of what I've been sewing. {mostly I've been doing a little here & a little there, and none of it is very photo worthy yet}


I made the three album blocks that I put on my list.  Yes, I know there is only one in the picture, but I mailed the other two to my Grandparents for signing before I remembered to take pictures of them, so you are just going to have to take my word for it that I did make them :)

I decided to make a family album quilt after reading a book from my local library about antique album quilts, so it seemed appropriate to make mine in reproduction fabrics.  Here is a close up of the block's main fabric:


I sent my boys to a quilt shop with their Dad to pick out the fabric I will be using for the sashing on this quilt.  Even though my sons completely shocked me with the fabric they chose, I love that they played such an important part in making this quilt {all the main block fabrics are now being chosen to coordinate with the sashing fabric they chose - so really, they chose my color palate or me}


I had expected them to chose a navy blue or red, something that appealed to a little boy, but they really tried to find something I would like.  And since in their minds all girls like pink, they chose this mauve-ish fabric.


happy sewing, everybody! :)

2 comments:

Celtic Thistle said...

How sweet of your boys to pick something they thought you would like, and what a great idea for a quilt. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Cherie said...

Sounds like a very interesting quilt. Will be watching to see the progress on it! =D